A classic Italian desert! A creamy dessert of espresso-soaked ladyfingers surrounded by lightly sweetened whipped cream and a rich mascarpone…
PREP: 30 minutes, plus chilling
|FOR THE CREAM:|
|4||large egg yolks|
|1/2 cup (100 gr)||granulated sugar, divided|
|3/4 cup||heavy cream|
|1 cup (227 gr)||mascarpone|
|FOR THE ASSEMBLY:|
|1 3/4 cup||espresso or very strong coffee|
|2 tbsp||rum or cognac|
|2 tbsp||unsweetened cocoa powder|
- Using an electric mixer in a medium bowl, whip together egg yolks and 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar until very pale yellow. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream and remaining 1/4 cup (50 grams) sugar until it creates soft-medium peaks.
- Add mascarpone and continue to whip until it creates a soft, spreadable mixture with medium peaks.
- Gently fold the mascarpone mixture into the sweetened egg yolks until combined.
- Combine espresso and rum in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Using a sifter, dust the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish (an 8×8-inch dish, or a 9-inch round cake pan would also work here) with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder.
- Working one at a time, quickly dip each ladyfinger into the espresso mixture and place them rounded side up at the bottom of the baking dish. Repeat, using half the ladyfingers, until you’ve got an even layer, breaking the ladyfingers in half as needed to fill in any obvious gaps. Spread half the mascarpone mixture onto the ladyfingers in one even layer. Repeat with remaining espresso-dipped ladyfingers and mascarpone mixture.
- Dust top layer with remaining tablespoon of cocoa powder. Top with shaved or finely grated chocolate, if desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (if you can wait 24 hours, all the better) before slicing or scooping to serve.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0