This Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is simply fantastic. It is an Indian recipe, but also the #1 national dish of England!
CALORIES: 600 kcal
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 30 minutes
For the chicken marinade:
|28 oz (800 g)||boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite-sized pieces|
|1 cup||plain yogurt (or Greek yogurt)|
|1 1/2 tablespoons||minced garlic|
|1 tablespoon||minced ginger (or finely grated)|
|2 teaspoons||garam masala|
|1 teaspoon||ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon||Kashmiri chili (or 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder)|
|1 teaspoon||salt (but AVOID it if you can…)|
For the sauce:
|2 tablespoons||olive oil|
|2 tablespoons||butter (unsalted and lactose free preferred)|
|2||small onion, finely sliced|
|1 1/2 tablespoons||garlic, minced|
|1 tablespoon||ginger, minced or finely grated|
|1 1/2 teaspoon||garam masala|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||ground cumin|
|1 teaspoon||turmeric powder|
|1 teaspoon||ground coriander|
|1 cup||crushed tomatoes (low salt!)|
|1 teaspoon||kashmiri chili (optional for color and flavor)|
|1 teaspoon||red chili powder (adjust to your taste preference)|
|1 teaspoon||salt (or to taste –> avoid completely if you can)|
|1 1/4 cup||heavy or thickened cream (or evaporated milk to save calories)|
|1 teaspoon||brown sugar|
|1/4 water||water (if needed)|
(1) In a bowl, combine chicken with all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade; let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour (or overnight if time allows).
(2) Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces in batches of two or three, making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until browned for only 3 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm. (You will finish cooking the chicken in the sauce.)
(3) Heat butter in the same pan. Fry the onions until they start to sweat (about 6 minutes) while scraping up any browned bits stuck on the bottom of the pan.
(4) Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant, then add ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala. Fry for about 20 seconds until fragrant, while stirring occasionally.
(5) Add the tomato puree, chili powder and salt (less salt is more healthy). Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens and becomes a deep brown red colour.
(6) Stir the cream and sugar through the sauce. Add the chicken and its juices back into the pan and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling. Pour in the water to thin out the sauce, if needed.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0