A simple vegetable dish that highlights the summer flavors of fresh tomatoes and zucchini. It goes great with grilled meats or poultry.
CALORIES: 300-500 kcal
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 50 minutes
|1 ½ cups||grated Cheddar cheese|
|⅓ cup||grated Parmesan cheese|
|½ teaspoon||dried oregano|
|½ teaspoon||dried basil|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|2||medium zucchinis, thinly sliced|
|5||plum tomatoes, thinly sliced|
|¼ cup||unsalted butter|
|2 tablespoons||finely chopped onion|
|¾ cup||fine bread crumbs|
|salt and pepper to taste – no added salt is best!|
- Step 1 – Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter a 9×9-inch pan.
- Step 2 – In a large bowl, combine Cheddar, Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season with pepper and very little or no salt, and set aside.
- Step 3 – Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top. Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- Step 4 – Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in breadcrumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Step 5 – Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0